By changing your mind-set you can farm at the next level. It takes some time but it is well worth it.
A quote I read went something like this “it is not how fast you are that determines your fitness but how well you recover”. This is very relevant right now especially after the psychological warfare farmers put themselves through dealing with finances, staff, weather, animal welfare and in some cases even earthquakes.
The one great thing about being under stress, whether physical, mental or emotional, is that it conditions your body and mind. Once you have done something you have the knowledge and skill to to better next time. The secret to this is the recovery period. If you are like me you will cram your training into short block periods and expect to be competitive but in actual fact my body is still trying to recover when going into an event. The only upside is that psychologically I have an edge because I am constantly under stress.
If you feel like you are getting nowhere and are even wondering why you are in the business at all there are things you can do to get you at peak fitness going into the new year. There are plenty of things you can do to help change but here are 5 things you can do right now.
- Positive recovery. We are talking mental and emotional recovery here. You need it and the only way to get it is to change your mind-set and begin living every day with an optimistic and positive outlook. Acknowledge the skills you have learnt from being under adversity. Simply making a pact with yourself to have fun today goes a long way to recovery.
- Train your mind. What you say? Why should I train for farming I know everything? Heads up you don’t. You have no idea what you don’t know. Recover your mind and set your vision for your business. Mentally ride through the highs and lows before you even get to them. Visualise your staff happy and skillful, feel the glow of satisfaction sitting in a staff meeting knowing your team has done everything they can to get you through a tight spot. Remember you trained them.
- Partner with winners. They don’t have to be in farming. Sport and recreations is full of winners. Even if they are back of the pack they have an energy you want to tap into.
- Get off the damn farm and get your staff off it as well. 24/7 farming was yesterday. Stubborn farmers who think they cannot leave the farm because the world will crumble do not make good leaders. You want proficient staff not just a robot to work a certain hourly wage. Your staff reflect your leadership. Keep energised and it will reflect in the way you treat your staff.
- Get aerobically fit. All the above will not happen if you rely on sugary energy drinks to get energy boosts. Here’s a fact – farmers do not burn enough calories to warrant drinking energy drinks. Simply getting some daily aerobic exercise builds your capacity to manage stress and fatigue far greater than any sugar boost. I am not saying never drink that rubbish but just don’t rely on it, unless it is a can of coke on the last 30min of ride before a group sprint #rocketfuel.
Change your mind-set and watch the world around you change as well. Your family and friends won’t annoy you so much. your world will open up as you meet new people. Feel inspired and feel energetic and above all have some fun today.
Share this with your friends and enemies because without both we cannot grow